Sunday, February 1, 2015

Catching up...

I knew I was behind...but I guess I didn't realize JUST HOW FAR behind! Gah. October 2013 was my last post. I had such grand dreams...

:)


My last post saw me taking a break for my fall consignment sale (www.milledgevilleexchange.com) and all that entailed. Low and behold, our cute little first home (our "Little Square") received an offer the day after the sale ended and we rushed to finish our remodel so we could move. My thoughts of detailing our remodeling and updates just vanished into thin air.

Moving had always been something we meant to do, but were in no rush, and here we were with just a few weeks to get everything packed and vacate the premises...

Only our new house wasn't ready. My brother and his wife graciously opened up their home to us for the eight weeks we took (over Christmas, no less!) to close on our first home and finish our second. Despite the warnings that you should never live with adult siblings, we had a blast and thoroughly enjoyed getting to spend time with my brother and sister-in-law even though we spent most weekends and many evenings working on our house.

To be honest, those eight weeks were a blur. I don't remember exactly what we had left to do nor how we did it. I do remember painting. Lots and lots of painting. I don't think the cashiers at Papa John's knew what I looked like without being covered with speckles of paint and wearing ripped jeans.

We moved in as soon as the interior was done and the driveway/patio concrete was poured. It was a snug fit (downsizing and all that jazz), but it worked. The house was well insulated and it was really nice to be closer to all the places we go on a weekly basis. As soon as we had a sunny weekend without our bebes, Eric and I tackled the outside. One funny thing I remember happened when we were painting the outside: we had tinted the primer to help the final coat be nice and solid. Primer doesn't take color quite the same way as paint and when we finished priming, the house was purple. Very, very purple. It looked like a giant grape. Fortunately, the final coat made it a lovely shade of gray that I intend to use again. I don't have an exact color 'cause I just mixed a bunch of random samples I had on hand until we found one we liked. We let the experts at Sherwin Williams color match my sample. We ended up hiring a contractor to re-roof the house. I'm scared of heights. We did add the gable on the front to add a little interest.

I think I'll let pictures speak for the rest of my post, these were taken after we'd been in the house for a couple of months and I had my pictures on the walls, etc. I only bought a few things. Most were recycled from our first house and made to match with spray paint.

The front - we planted more grass after this!




I love, loved, loved this color for cabinets! I was so happy with the way it turned out!







The eat-in area of the kitchen:




The Living Room:

Fun Note: We up-cycled this mantel we had been given several years ago and low and behold, when we cleaned it up, we found where my uncle had built it back in 1941! That was a fun experience. Our TV fit the opening almost exactly.





The hallway leading to the bebe's rooms:




Leading to the Master, doorway to the right is the Laundry Room:





Bebe #2's room:




Bebe's #1 & #3 room:




Master Suite:




Master Bath:


No comments:

Post a Comment