Thursday, September 12, 2013

Work, work and more work - The Second Weekend


The Second Weekend


The next two workdays made a much bigger dent in the appearance of our nasty little home. I continued to clean and tried to take down the doors that were no longer usable. In reality, this means I removed the hinge-pins and stacked the doors near the trash trailer. Eric had to remove the actual frames because I could not figure out how to disassemble them. I could bust them and create huge cracks but getting them to part ways with the wall eluded me. I did manage to knock myself in the head with a crow-bar. One talented chica, I tell ya.

Eric removed most of the light fixtures (its not like they worked anyway), and mini-fans. What is the deal with 24" fans?!? They looks so...stunted. They belong in a center for ants.

We removed the shower in the Master Bath by cutting it into chunks and carting it away. Yes, it would have been nice to have the separate shower but I'm all for getting rid of things that require cleaning. We will use the freed-up space to relocate the hot water heater from it's current location in the laundry room. Eric will add a wall in the bathroom to create a HWH niche from the Laundry Room side but I'll talk about that in another post. 

**Correction: this is where the NEW hot water heater will go.** The old heater was tossed. The bottom was nearly rusted through and the seam down the back had split. It was a disaster waiting to happen. So glad we removed it before it busted!

Meanwhile, my generous father offered us an air tub that he had removed from his ReBath showroom and no longer needed. While he was in the tub-busting mood, Eric went ahead and removed the giant soaker tub in the Master Bath too. I'm so glad. Bathing in a former display tub may feel weird at first, but I'm sure I'll feel much cleaner. 



Getting ready to go ninja on the tub:






With the hall bath in a semi-functioning state, Eric removed the Master Bath toilet. OMG. So nasty. Blessings on the person that invented rubber gloves.




Eric was a real trooper - in addition to ALL OF THAT, he removed all the vanities and the underlayment where new flooring will be installed (everywhere).

Goodbye to some serious ugly:


Did I mention that Facebook came through for me again? I'm a member of a couple local "yardsale" groups. Sometime during the week before, I found a vanity that could easily be cut down to the size we need for the Master Bath. I was looking forward to two sinks, but one will have to do. Buying used saved us about 80% over a new vanity and top even thought I'll have to paint the cabinet part. I've got more time than money.

That was Friday.

On Saturday, we broke open twenty gallons of Kilz. 

A few years back, Eric and I painted a house right before it went on the market. We "invested" in a professional paint sprayer to save time. Did I mention it's a time-saver? Like kilzed-the-whole-house-in-eight-hours type of time-saver? Once again, it was determined to be a good investment. Eric may have looked a bit funny in his "face-sock" but by golly, he got it done. All of the ceilings, walls, and floors received a coat of Kilz. I'll take the smell of noxious paint fumes over noxious dog-pee anyday. 

Oops! We missed a fan!


Master Bedroom Ceiling - so much better!



Master Bath (as seen from bedroom)



Kitchen:



Laundry Room: 



Master Bedroom - see my cheapo vanity!



The "clean" room and electronic babysitter:



The Hallway leading to bedroom and schoolroom:



From the Living Room - looking toward the Dining Area and Hall:



From the Living Room - looking towards a hot hunk...oops! I mean the hallway:



Alas, the sprayer doesn't work for the floors.

From the Living Room - looking toward Master Bedroom and Laundry.





The dirt may still be there, but now it's stuck. And white. And smells a lot better.



No comments:

Post a Comment